This simple to make, healthy and filling dish is good to have in breakfast, to kick start a busy day or in dinner and can be served with any chutney of your choice.
- Millet (Little millet/Barnyard millet/Kodo millet) – ½ cup
- Vegetables (beans, carrot, capsicum, tomato, cabbage) – finely chopped
- Green peas – ½ cup
- Oil/Ghee – 2tsp
- Chana Dal – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Onion – 1 no. finely chopped
- Green chili – 2 nos. finely chopped
- Ginger – small piece finely chopped
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – 1 & ½ cup
- Wash millets nicely (at least 3 times) and soak in clean water for 15 mins till they are nicely soaked.
- In a pan, heat 1 tsp of oil/ghee. Once heated, add mustard seeds, and let it pop up completely. Then add urad dal, chana dal & jeera till the dal turns little brown.
- Add onion, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and stir it well till the onions turns transparent.
- Add vegetables (carrot, beans, peas, capsicum, cabbage) followed by tomato and mix it well for 2min. Add salt and turmeric powder and sauté them well for 5 more min
- Add 1 & ½ cups of water, close and cook the vegetables for 5 min. And to it add the soaked millets (draining out the water), close and cook it for 15 min. When checked after 15 min, will find the water completely drained off and the millets cooked well, ready to serve.
- Before serving you can garnish with freshly grated coconut,roasted peanuts or dry fruits (cashew/almond/raisins).