This yummy, crispy and healthy version of chakli can be made for any occasion or just as a evening snack with any hot beverage.
- Millet (Little millet/Barnyard millet/Kodo millet) – 1 cup
- Besan or Gram flour – ¼ cup
- Rice flour – ¼ cup
- Butter – 4 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 2 tbsp
- Sesame - 2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tbsp (as per required spice level)
- Salt – as required
- Oil/Ghee – as required for frying
- Asafoetida(hing) – 2 pinches
- Wash millets nicely (at least 3 times) and soak in clean water for 1hour and drain the water.
- Spread soaked millet over a cotton cloth, let it dry for 1 hour. Once completely dried, grind millets to fine powder.
- In a bowl add ground millet powder, besan/gram flour, rice flour, cumin seeds, sesame, butter, salt, red chilli powder, asafoetida(hing) and mix well. Then add water little by little and knead it to soft dough.
- Coat the chakli press with oil from inside, fill it with one handful of dough and squeeze it to make swirls/chaklis on a plate or sheet.
- Heat oil in a pan, put prepared raw chaklis, deep fry till crisp & golden brown.
- Alternatively, you can directly press the chakli dough on oil and deep fry as chakli sticks. This is the best way to choose when you are having trouble making swirls.
- You can also add Urad dal or Moong dal powder (dry roasted and powdered) along with the millet powder, to further enhance the taste of chakli.